OH Crack – When to Hire a Structural Engineer

Flooring cracks in a home can be a sign of a serious structural issue, and it’s important to know when to bring in a structural engineer to address the problem. Here are some key indications that you should call in an expert:

1. Large, deep cracks: If you notice cracks in your flooring that are more than 1/4 inch wide or deep, it’s a sign that there may be a serious issue with your foundation. A structural engineer can evaluate the extent of the damage and recommend appropriate repairs.

2. Uneven flooring: If your flooring is not level, this could be a sign of structural damage to the foundation. A structural engineer can assess the cause of the unevenness and recommend solutions to correct it.

3. Cracks in walls or ceilings: If you notice cracks in your walls or ceilings, this could be a sign of foundation damage that is affecting the entire structure of your home. A structural engineer can identify the source of the problem and recommend repairs to prevent further damage.

4. Doors and windows that stick: If your doors and windows are difficult to open or close, this could indicate foundation damage that is causing your home to shift. A structural engineer can evaluate the situation and recommend corrective measures.

In general, if you notice any signs of structural damage to your home, it’s important to act quickly to prevent further damage and ensure the safety of your family. A structural engineer can provide expert guidance and recommendations to help you address the problem and protect your investment. Its important to have peace of mind and really know the difference between normal settlement cracks and structural or foundational concerns.